Let’s start with an interesting fact: A tomato is a fruit of a tomato plant. Surprised? Not many people know that a tomato does not fall under the category of vegetables but is classified as a fruit.
Tomatoes add good taste to your dishes and boost your overall health; but this not all! Tomatoes have much more to offer – they can be the best pals for your skin and hair too. Tomatoes can easily be grown in the kitchen garden and about 94.5% of tomato is water, making it one of the most hydrating fruits.
These tangy and luscious red delights are available all year round and are loaded with minerals and vitamin C, A and phytonutrients. Since you do not need to wait for any particular season for tomatoes to arrive, you can take complete advantage of this fruit whenever you want. Let us have a look at how tomatoes can be beneficial for your hair, skin and health:
Helps in Treating Open Pores:
Follow the below steps to treat open pores:
- Take about 4 drops of tomato juice and add it to 1 tablespoon of water
- Apply on face with the help of a cotton ball
- Massage the skin gently and leave it on for around 15 minutes
- Wash and pat dry
Regular application of this mixture will help reduce the pore size.
- Brightens Skin: Tomatoes can do wonders if applied on the skin. Rubbing a tomato or applying tomato juice evens out the skin and gives a glow on the face. Vitamin C, known to brighten the skin does the trick here.
- Natural Sunscreen: Not many people know that tomatoes contain an antioxidant called lycopene. This antioxidant acts as a natural sunscreen and protects skin from the harsh UV rays.
- Acts as a Natural Bleaching Agent: Tomato is one of the best natural bleaching agents and is well-known for lightening the skin tone. Prepare a face pack by following the below mentioned steps, and see the difference for yourself!
- Mix 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp to 1 teaspoon of oatmeal and 1 teaspoon of yogurt
- Apply it on the face and neck and leave for around 20 minutes
Oatmeal exfoliates the skin and yogurt and tomato together help in clearing blemishes and improving complexion.
Helps Remove Dead Skin Cells: Dead skin cells can easily be removed with the help of t Here’s how:
- Grind tomatoes in a mixer with the seeds
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to it
- Apply the paste on face and massage gently in a circular motion
- Cut 1 tomato into 2 halves
- Sprinkle some sugar on it
- Gently scrub your skin with it to get rid of with dead skin cells
Prevents Hair Loss: In case you are facing hair loss problems, here is the solution!
a) Apply tomato pulp on your scalp
b) Leave it on for 20 minutes
c) Rinse with normal water
Repeat this process around times a week and see the difference.
Tired of unmanageable and frizzy hair? You need not worry anymore, as tomatoes can come to your rescue.
a) Take a few drops of tomato oil in your palm
b) Apply it to your hair
In no time your hair will become frizz free and manageable.
Excellent Remedy for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp:
Tomatoes are great for curing itchy scalp and dandruff. Since tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C, they help fight dandruff and provide collagen (the most abundant protein in the human body) for appropriate tissue development of the scalp.
- Take 2 to 3 ripe tomatoes and make a thick pulp
- Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to it and mix well
- Apply the pack gently on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse your hair with normal water
- Lowers Cholesterol: Tomato seeds have zero cholesterol. Adding on to this, they are rich in fiber and are abundant in niacin (vitamin B3), well-known for lowering cholesterol levels.
- Assist in Controlling Heart Rate: Tomatoes are highly rich in Potassium which is useful for controlling heart rate. Not only this, it also helps in the prevention of heart diseases and strokes.
- Boosts Immunity: Tomato flesh and seeds are well-known immunity boosting agents. Consumption of these avoids common cold and influenza. Tomato seeds are excellent sources of the antioxidant lycopene and beta-carotene and are effective immunity boosting agents.
- Helps Regulate High Blood Pressure: Tomatoes help in safeguarding our body from high cholesterol and blood pressure due to the nutrients and minerals present in it.
Since tomatoes have numerous benefits, make sure you start including them in your diet and add them to your daily beauty regime. So what are you waiting for; grab some from the local market right way!
Image Courtesy: Google